100 cases of serious injury across NHS hospitals as three deaths investigated

10 November 2014

100 cases of serious injury across NHS hospitals as three deaths investigated100 cases of serious injury across NHS hospitals as three deaths investigated

A gynaecologist is being investigated over a number of botched surgeries, the deaths of at least three women under his medical supervision, nearly 100 cases of serious injury and an allegation of sexual assault.

A specialist helpline has been set up by Mistreatment.com for female patients who may have suffered medical mistreatment by consultant Rod Irvine. Irvine has been suspended amid an ongoing investigation into his treatment of thousands of women over a two year period.

The Mail on Sunday, who broke the news, has revealed that so far 100 women are planning to bring legal claims against Mr Irvine. Mistreatment.com is able to provide advice, guidance and support in bringing a claim against him in what could become one of the biggest surgical scandals in recent years. The types of claims that can be brought include delayed cancer diagnosis, punctured organs and operations on wrong parts of the body.

Specialist helpline set up for female patients

20 of the most serious cases were review by the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists which found ‘unsatisfactory’ patient care.

Mr Irvine, 61, who was based at Queen Mary’s Hospital, Sidcup, South-East London, was suspended in November last year when a routine audit of his operations revealed concerns.  

The surgeon is being investigated by the General Medical Council and has been banned from carrying out private work. He is allowed to work for the NHS under strict supervision but has not done so. 

Case Study: Susie Sargent

Jack Sargent’s mother, Susie, died in January 2010 aged 48 after an operation to remove a fibroid went wrong. Mr Sargent, 21, from Welling, Kent, said his mother bled heavily after surgery. During the operation it was found she was suffering from a more serious condition and should have been given a hysterectomy. She died after developing a blood clot which travelled to her lung.

Mr Irvine’s employer, South London Healthcare NHS Trust, was dissolved in October 2013 after experiencing financial difficulties. His employment automatically transferred to King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, but a spokesman for the Trust said Mr Irvine had not worked at any of its hospitals.

He said: ‘Mr Irvine has been employed by King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust since our acquisition of the Princess Royal University Hospital [PRUH] in October 2013. He has not worked at any of our hospitals during that time.

‘We are aware that a group of patients have raised concerns about the level of care provided to them prior to us taking over the PRUH.’

Last night Mr Irvine denied any wrongdoing and said his supporters claimed he was the victim of a ‘witchhunt’. He said his complication rate was ‘within national standards’. He added a Trust investigation into Mrs Sargent’s death ‘did not uphold any allegations’ made against him

Patient Care Options

Have you or a loved one wanted to raise a complaint with the NHS  regarding medical mistreatment that has been experienced? Our specialist teams can provide FREE advice about what your options are, whether you want to make a medical negligence claim or medical mistreatment complaint or simply to better understand what your patient rights. You can contact us here today for  a no-obligation and completely free conversation to discuss what happened to you.